Is your job application being ignored?
There are few things in life more disheartening than being ignored. Especially on the job market.
We asked one of Australia's leading resume writing companies for their expert advice. Here's what they had to say.
As professional resume writers, our job is to know what works and what doesn't in a job application.
And this isn't only from having written thousands of successful resumes for our clients. We've also sat on the other side of the table when hiring new members for our team, poring through hundreds of applications.
Our major 5 reasons your job application is being ignored.
- No cover letter
This one's a no brainer. If you don't put in any effort into an application, you can't expect the hirer to.
- You haven't addressed your cover letter to anyone
Little details can count for a lot. Addresses and names should be included wherever possible. Letters without addresses and names look like they could have been submitted for any old job.
- Your resume says you're looking for a different type of job to the one you've applied for
No one likes to think they're your second choice. In the vast majority of cases, hirers can find plenty of people out there that really do want the job.
- Your resume has little relevance to the role
A job application is a very slim window to convince someone you would be great in a job. If your resume doesn't immediately and clearly set out that you have the core requirements for a job, you will probably be passed over.
- Your cover letter isn't specific to the job
If your cover letter doesn't say anything specific about the job or the organisation, you've missed an opportunity to reinforce how suitable you are for the role. You're also saying that you haven't taken the time to read the advertisement, or that you're not good at presenting yourself.
Neither will help you win an interview.
How to approach any job application - two simple rules:
- Assume you're up against hundreds of candidates. There's a good chance you will be.
- Don't bother submitting half-hearted applications. Your time is much better invested figuring out the roles you want most, and ensuring you're able to deliver a strong application for each.
If you need help with your job application, you're welcome to get in touch with us here. One of our friendly resume writers will be very happy to help you.