Do You Get Paid to be Unhappy?
Article written by Darren Poke from www.advantageresumes.com.au
Here are some important facts about our careers.
- We will spend approximately 100,000 hours at work.
- Only 20% of workers say that they are doing something that they enjoy and feel passionate about.
That's a lot of people dreading Monday mornings (and Tuesdays and Wednesdays etc.).
If you don't like your work, it means that effectively you're getting paid to be unhappy.
I don't care how much you're getting paid and what sort of lifestyle that salary supports, 100,000 hours is too long to spend doing something that makes you miserable.
It could be that you don't like your boss, the culture of your company, the hours, the long commute, the industry or that you don't get to use the skills that you have to their maximum capacity, but whatever the reason, perhaps now is the time to consider planning a change.
I know that many people would say that the present economic circumstances are the wrong time to jump ship, but if we're honest with ourselves, we can always make up reasons to stay where we are, remaining unhappy, unproductive and unfulfilled.
You're not trapped and you do have a choice.
You can decide to stay in your current situation and get paid to be unhappy, or you can do something today that will take you closer to your goal of a job that you can get genuinely excited about.
I'm not necessarily suggesting that you resign today (although that is one option), but at the very least you can:
- Enrol in a relevant course.
- Speak to someone who works in an industry that interests you.
- Start a microbusiness in your own time doing something that you're passionate about.
- Learn more about yourself and find out what would be a great career option.
- Talk to someone you trust about your situation and brainstorm alternatives.
- Admit to yourself that you need to do something and take action.
- Get your resume updated and ready to go!
Whatever you do, if you're currently getting paid to be unhappy, make sure that you've got a plan to move on and the courage to jump when the right time comes.
If you're getting paid to be unhappy and need assistance with your resume or application letter, check us out at www.advantageresumes.com.au
We offer a reasonable price, efficient, personal service and have the experience and expertise to give you an advantage in your job hunting efforts.