Search Advice
Career Advice » Salary & Benefits» Award Wages » What should your job pay?
What should your job pay?

What should your job pay?

If you want to know the minimum salary a particular job should pay, including apprenticeships and traineeships, then visit the Fair Work Online website,,

No only does the Workplace Authority site offer information on your employer's obligations to you but it also includes Pay Scale Summaries, which are the tables of awards [pay brackets].

First step is to go to Pay Scale Summaries page or going to the Workplace Authority website and clicking on the purple box on the home page titled Find Pay Scale Summaries.

Once on that page, scroll down and click on the 2008 list and then use the A-Z choices. Remember, it is the award not the role that you will need to search so you will need to surf around a bit if you don’t know what award you fall under.

Instead of “C” for chef, you would need to look under “P” for Pastry Cooks Award or “R” for Restaurant, Tearoom and Caterers Award if you are in WA or the Restaurant Employees Award in NSW and so on. It isn’t hard it just takes a bit of trial and error unless you know your award.

Any questions for the Fair Pay Commission about not getting paid the award, call the Workplace Info line on 1300 363 264.

You can also find information on state-based awards by going onto the websites of the relevant organisations in your state or territory. Below are a few examples:

In Queensland contact Wageline by visiting the website or calling 1300 369 945.

In NSW visit the Office of Industrial Relations website or call 131 628.

In Victoria visit Victoria Online Employment & Workplace and then Conditions & Entitlements.

Also, visit the CareerOne Salary Centre for links to salary surveys.

Latest Jobs

Ai Group Apprentice and Trainee Centre
Posted: 09/27/2016
Ai Group Apprentice and Trainee Centre
Posted: 09/27/2016
Aldi Pty Ltd
Posted: 09/27/2016
Mornington, VIC, 3931
Love Property Wealth
Posted: 09/27/2016
Hobart, TAS, 7000

Want more personalised results?  Update Your Profile



Preparing for an interview
Follow these techniques which will not just
cool an applicant's nerves, but help dazzle the
selection panel.


How to negotiate for your pay rise
Having that discussion is never an easy task
however knowing what needs to be done helps
in making the process easy.


And the most sought-after skills are...
Hiring in many sectors is back to pre-GFC
levels leaving many employers "bracing for a
skills shortage".


Alt text
We have seen the recruitment market improve,
with online job listings growing by over 33 per
cent over the previous year.


Ten tips to hire the right candidate
You need to ask the right questions to see if the candidate has the attributes you need to grow your business.


Toolkit for employers
Our resource centre will you keep you informed on the latest industry trends and help you manage your workforce.


Advance your career
Higher education, vocational education and professional development.
Email me jobs
Save a customised job search and get new job alerts sent to your inbox.
High impact resume
Want a professional, keyword-rich resumes crafted by the experts?
Post your resume
Upload your resume for free and let employers come to you.
Job Seeker's Toolkit
All the tools and advice you need to start your job hunt.
Career Advice
Browse more than 20 specialised sections to get ahead in your career.
Create a Cover Letter
A cover letter is the best way to put a face on your resume.

>>More Career Advice


Post a job
Post your job in minutes. It's simple and affordable from $170.
Bundled Offers
Find the offer that's right for your business.
Resume Database
Access thousands of qualified candidates.
Optimise your ad
How to enhance the performance of your job posting.
Online Tutorials
Need help to post your job? See our online demonstations.
Resource Centre
Workforce management advice, labor trends, HR best practices and more.
Employer Toolkit
Most popular material for employers to get you started.

>>More Employer Advice


Interact with us, have your say or just get helpful career advice.
Watch our career advice videos and TV commercials.
Follow us to receive the latest employment and industry news.
Twitter InspireMe
Receive a dose of inspiration to start each working day.
Personality Profiler
Do the test to find out your personality and work style.
CareerOne iPhone app
Now you can search and apply for jobs anytime, anywhere.
Blog: Cube Farmer
Kate Southam gets to grips with the highs and lows of work.


Jobs and Career Resources
Find Jobs and Explore Career Resources
Company Profiles
Research companies, view company profiles and find thousands of recruiters.
Advance your career with higher education, vocational education and professional development.
What's new?
Take advantage of the new and improved features and functionality of our website.
Security Centre
Expert advice on avoiding online fraud.
Read our help topics, privacy policy and FAQs.
Search Jobs:
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About CareerOne | Work for CareerOne | Partner with Us | Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Centre | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2016 CareerOne - All Rights Reserved Australia.
- V: 2016.19.0.140-311